Urgent Application Cases
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It is posted on the Department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
This section is about what an "urgent" case is and how to handle them.
When a case is urgent
Applications for proof of citizenship, search of citizenship records for Canadian citizens, resumptions, and applications for grant of citizenship are expedited if documents support the need for urgency in the following situations:
- a request is received from the office of the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada;
- the applicants need to travel because of death or serious illness in the family and cannot obtain a passport in their present nationality (which includes the Canadian passport);
- A grant applicant has been in Canada for 1,095 days or more and faces loss of employment or employment opportunity because they are not Canadian citizens;
- the applicants are Canadian citizens and face the loss of employment or employment opportunity because they are not in possession of a document establishing Canadian citizenship;
- an application delayed due to an administrative error;
- an applicant for grant of citizenship whose appeal to the Federal Court is successful;
- any situation in which not expediting the citizenship application harms the applicant, such as the need to renounce foreign citizenship by a certain date;
- the applicants need a citizenship certificate to access certain benefits such as a pension, Social Insurance Number or health care.
Documents must support urgent case requests.
For instance, for an applicant facing the loss of employment or employment opportunity, the applicant must submit a letter from the employer.
The letter should say that the applicants will lose employment or potential employment if they are not Canadian citizens. The letter must also say why Canadian Citizenship is a job requirement, and why the employer cannot make other arrangements.
Note: Even in urgent cases, clients must still demonstrate they meet all the requirements of citizenship and provide all necessary documentation.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: