If the certificate is in possession by third party

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It is posted on the Department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

Family member has previous certificate

Some applicants for replacement certificates claim that another person has their previous certificate.

If a family member has the certificate, the application must be accompanied by a note to CPC Sydney explaining who has the certificate and what efforts have been made to retrieve it. If the address of the family member is known, CPC Sydney sends a letter asking for the return of the certificate.

If the address of the family member is not known, or if the certificate is not returned on request, CPC Sydney refers the file to CMB. CMB will inform the RCMP so that details about the certificate can be entered in their records and for possible investigation.

Certificate held by stranger

If the certificate is held by someone other than a family member, the case must be referred to Case Management Branch with a covering memorandum for possible RCMP investigation.

CPC Sydney notifies Passport Office

CPC Sydney notifies the Passport Office about an outstanding certificate, whether held by a family member or a stranger, so it will not be used to obtain a Canadian passport.

Applicants must say what they did to get certificate back

In all cases, applicants should say what they did to try and get their certificate back. If no attempt was made to retrieve the certificate, the applicant should indicate why on the Application for a Citizenship Certificate.

Authorization needed for replacement

Do not issue a replacement until authorized by Case Management Branch.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: