Federal Skilled Workers - Admissibility and making a final decision
Once the processing office has determined that an applicant is a member of the Federal Skilled Worker Class pursuant to R75, the principal applicant and their family members, whether accompanying or not, must complete medical examinations if required, and pass criminal and security checks.
For detailed information about determining admissibility, refer to ENF 2 / OP 18 – Evaluating Inadmissibility.
Making a final decision
Approving the application
For applicants who are living outside of Canada, send the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) and permanent resident visa (if applicable) to the applicant’s address outside of Canada.
Do not issue a permanent resident visa counterfoil to applicants whose passport was issued by a visa-exempt country identified in R190(1)(a) or (b), 190(2)(b) – (f), or R190(2.1). However, officers may request to see the applicant’s original passport in these cases.
Approved applicants must present their CoPR and permanent resident visa counterfoil (if applicable) to an officer at a Canadian port of entry [R71.1(1)]
If an officer approves an application from a temporary resident in Canada who is a member of a class referred to in R70(2)(a) or (b), they will:
- send the CoPR and permanent resident visa counterfoil (if applicable) to the applicant’s address in Canada; and
- inform the applicant that, in order to become a permanent resident, they may either:
- present the CoPR and permanent resident visa counterfoil (if applicable) to an officer at a Canadian port of entry, or
- contact the CIC Call Centre to request an appointment at a local CIC office, with their family members, if applicable. [R71.1(2)]
Refusing the application
All refused applicants in the Federal Skilled Worker Class must be provided with a formal refusal letter. The refusal letter must:
- inform the applicant of the immigration class in which their application was considered
- fully explain to the applicant why their application in that class has been refused
- inform applicants who have paid the RPRF that they are entitled to a refund and provide an approximate timeframe for its receipt.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: