Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP): Income support management: Separated minors
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It is posted on the Department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
Where the principal applicant is accompanied by a separated minor who is a de facto dependant, the migration officer will have confirmed that there is a bona fide de facto dependent relationship between the PA and the separated minor.
For cases involving de facto dependants, the migration office will have the PA sign the Acknowledgment of Responsible Adult Form indicating that they understand their responsibilities as guardian of the minor.
The supervisor or manager of the local office will ensure that provincial requirements regarding guardianship are met by referring the family to the provincial or municipal child welfare agency.
If a separated minor is joining a blood relative already in Canada, the family member, as the designated guardian of the child, must also sign a modified RAP agreement to receive income support on their behalf.
Separated minors are not automatically eligible for financial assistance under RAP. Rather, an eligibility assessment based on the total family income and assets must be undertaken by the local IRCC officer upon the minor’s arrival in Canada. The level of their RAP benefits should be determined in the same way as non-accompanying family members under the OYW program.
Local IRCC responsibilities
- Refer to IRCC’s guardianship protocol and legal guardianship process, including contact information for the authorities responsible for youth protection, in the province where the PA and minor will reside.
- For a consanguineous minor joining a relative in Canada, contact the relative to confirm that they understand their responsibilities as guardian of the child once in Canada. Make sure the relative understands that as guardian they will be responsible for the care and protection of the minor until the minor reaches the age of majority in the province in which they reside. Encourage them to secure legal guardianship, letting them know that the RAP officer will be in touch to provide information on how to initiate that process once the child arrives in Canada.
- Where necessary, have the relative sign the Immigration Loan form.
- Inform the RAP SPO that a consanguineous minor or de facto dependant will be arriving in the province. Provide the RAP SPO with the necessary guardianship information for use during the orientation.
- Inform the provincial director of child welfare if a separated minor or a minor who will be resettled with a family member in their province is arriving. Make sure to specify if any concerns for the child’s safety have been raised.
- For a consanguineous minor, inform the ROCO and the migration office to proceed with the case, once the blood relative has been contacted
Arrival of the minor: RAP SPO
Once the PA and/or the minor have arrived, the RAP SPO will do the following:
- Remind the PA or relative of their guardianship responsibilities until the minor reaches the age of majority in that province.
- Provide the necessary RAP and guardianship information and encourage them to start the legal guardianship process for that province.
Monitoring or tracking of separated minors: local IRCC
- The local IRCC will conduct a monitoring interview with 100% of the cases within 7 months after their arrival. This will include a reminder to the PA or relative of the importance in following through with the guardianship process. Where necessary, the local IRCC will re-supply the PA or relative with the guardianship information and encourage the PA or relative to start the process to obtain legal guardianship.
- If there are any concerns regarding the safety of the child, the local IRCC should check the Internet for information on how to report abuse in that province.
- The Settlement worker should be made aware of the guardianship issues related to the family and should reinforce the importance of initiating the guardianship process.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: