Language requirements – Live-in Caregivers

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

Language ability

Pursuant to R112(d), applicants under the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) must have a level of fluency in English or French that enables them to communicate effectively and independently in an unsupervised setting. For example, they should be able to:

  • respond to emergency situations by contacting a doctor, ambulance, police or fire department;
  • read the labels on medication;
  • answer the telephone and the door; and
  • communicate with others outside the home, such as schools, stores or other institutions.

Live-in caregivers must be able to perform their job in an unsupervised setting. A proficiency in speaking, understanding and reading one of Canada’s official languages will also ensure that caregivers understand their rights and obligations and are not dependent on their employers to interpret provincial/territorial labour legislation and employment standards. They will also be better equipped to seek outside assistance in the event of personal difficulties or if they find themselves in an unsatisfactory employment situation.

The language assessment for live-in caregivers is part of the overseas processing of work permit applications under the LCP.

Visa offices must consult International Region, National Headquarters if a refusal under R112(d) is being considered in cases where an applicant is fluent only in the official language which is not the official language spoken in the employer’s community.

Page details

Date modified: