Study permits: Working on campus

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

On-campus employment

Full-time post-secondary students may work without a work permit on the campus of the university or college at which they are a full-time student [R186(f)]. This authorization is valid for the period for which they hold a study permit at the institution and during which they are enrolled in full-time studies.

This regulation applies to students who are:

  • engaged in full-time studies (regardless of the course or program of study at a university, community college, collège d'enseignement général et professionnel (CÉGEP), publicly funded trade or technical school, or private institutions authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees);
  • working at any number of jobs on-campus, as well as students working as research or teaching assistants at facilities off-campus in research related to their research grant. These facilities could include teaching hospitals, clinics, research institutes, etc., that have a formal association or affiliation with the learning institution.

Definition of "on-campus work"

"On-campus" is defined as employment facilities within the boundaries of the campus. The students are only allowed to work on the campus of the educational institution at which they are registered in full-time studies. If an institution has more than one campus, the student can work at different locations on those campuses provided they are within the same municipality. If an institution has campuses in different cities, the student is restricted to working on the institution's campus where they are registered as a full-time student.

Students may work on campus as teaching or research assistants and may be located at a library, hospital, or research facility affiliated with the institution but located outside the physical boundaries of the institution's campus. This is allowed provided that the work is strictly related to the student's research grant.

The employer can be any of the following:

  • the institution;
  • a faculty;
  • a student organization;
  • the students themselves (self-employment taking place on campus);
  • a private business;
  • a private contractor providing services to the institution on the campus.

Some universities and colleges are located in city centres. On-campus employers include those whose businesses serve the general public, as long as the place of business is located on the institution's campus.

Note: Students need a social insurance number (SIN) to work in Canada. To apply for a SIN for on-campus employment, they must have a valid study permit. Students can apply for a SIN before or within the first three days of employment.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: