Temporary residents: China Transit Program
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It is posted on the Department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
Chinese foreign nationals must
- be in possession of a valid United States (U.S.) visa;
- be in possession of a valid passport issued by the authorities of the People’s Republic of China; and
- be transiting through the Vancouver International Airport, Toronto’s Pearson International Airport (Terminal 1 only) or Calgary International Airport.
Passengers arriving from the U.S.
In addition to the conditions above, when travelling from the U.S., travellers must meet the following conditions to qualify as a China Transit Program (CTP) passenger:
- arrive in Canada from the U.S. on a direct, non-stop flight with an approved airline and proceed to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) area for clearance or remain in a sterile transit area while waiting for a connecting flight (passengers who leave the sterile transit area must go to the CBSA area for examination);
- not be under a removal or deportation order;
- have had a valid U.S. visa to enter the U.S. and not have overstayed the period of time they were authorized to remain in the U.S.;
- be destined for a third country, including their country of nationality, and have the required travel documents to enter that third country as well as the required travel documents for any countries through which they may transit; and
- hold a confirmed onward ticket for a flight that will leave Canada on the same travel day (no layover or overnight stay is permitted).
Currently, the following are eligible to transport passengers under the CTP:
- Air Canada
- Air China
- Air Georgian
- Cathay Pacific
- China Southern
- Hainan Airlines
- Philippine Airlines
- West Jet
- Jazz Aviation LP
- Sky Regional Airlines Inc.
- Air Canada Rouge
In addition, Chinese nationals participating in the CTP must have as their last embarkation point one of the following 15 cities:
- Hong Kong
- Seoul (South Korea)
For more information, see the Transit Without Visa (TWOV) program.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: