Temporary residents: Document requirements

This page provides guidance for the documents required when submitting an application for a temporary resident visa (TRV), the documents minors require for travel, and exemptions to the document requirements.

Note: Applicants who are required to provide biometric information will have a digital photograph taken at biometric collection and therefore are not required to submit any other photographs with their application.

On this page

Document requirements

When submitting an application for a TRV, all applicants must complete, sign and date the following Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) forms, unless otherwise noted:

  • Application for Temporary Resident Visa [IMM 5257]
  • Family Information [IMM 5707]

Note: This form must be completed by those aged 18 years or older only.

  • Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409]

Note: Refer to the responsible visa office for your region.

  • Use of a Representative [IMM 5476]

Note: Applicants must complete this form only if they use the services of a representative or if they are appointing or cancelling a representative.

  • Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual [IMM 5475]

Note: This form is only to be completed by applicants who authorize IRCC and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to release information from their case file to someone other than the applicant.

In addition to submitting the forms listed above, applicants must:

  • pay the applicable processing and biometric collection fee
  • submit the necessary supporting documents (such as a valid passport) to accompany their application

An application package is considered complete when:

  • all questions on the application forms have been answered
  • the fee has been paid
  • the forms have been validated

For minors

In the federal context and according to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, a child is a person under the age of 18. Minors travelling alone must carry information concerning the person who will be responsible for them once they arrive in Canada.

It is recommended that minors travelling without their parents have a letter of authorization signed by both parents or legal guardians, granting permission to travel alone. This letter should be:

  • submitted with their application
  • carried on the minor as they travel

If the child is the subject of a custody order or is travelling with one parent, custody documents or a letter of authorization from the other, non-accompanying parent providing consent for the trip must be:

  • provided as part of the application
  • carried on the minor when travelling to Canada to present to a border services officer at the port of entry

These documents will allow a border services officer to facilitate the entry of these travellers.

Other documents may be required if requested, such as:

  • a letter of invitation or an explanation for the purpose of the trip
  • evidence of ties to the applicant’s home country
  • proof of current immigration status in the country of application

Note: When minors are travelling with only one parent, or with a relative or a friend, the officer’s primary duty is to ensure that the child is not being abducted from their parent(s) or lawful guardian(s).

Super visa

For eligibility criteria and document requirements for the super visa, see Temporary residents: Super visa.

Exemption from document requirements

According to subsection 52(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), certain foreign nationals are exempt from the requirement to provide their passport or travel or identity document. Foreign nationals who are exempt from the document requirements are still required to provide proof of their status in their country of origin. Documentation to prove status may include:

Temporary residents in Canada who submit an application to extend their stay must send photocopies of the following pages of their passport or identity document with their application:

  • identity page
  • page containing the date and place of issuance
  • page showing the expiry date of the document
  • page showing the entry stamp (if applicable)

Page details

Date modified: