Program delivery update: COVID-19 – Biometric exemption of temporary residence applicants applying from within Canada
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
July 23, 2020
Temporary residence applicants in Canada have been unable to give required biometrics due to the closure of Service Canada Centres. This has led to a growing inventory of in-Canada temporary residence applications.
To mitigate this issue, there is now a public policy that exempts in-Canada applicants from the biometrics requirement, where the applicant has a pending or new application for
- a temporary resident visa (TRV)
- an extension of authorization to remain in Canada as a temporary resident
- restoration of temporary resident status
- a work permit (WP) or extension of a work permit (WP-EXT)
- a study permit (SP) or extension of a study permit (SP-EXT)
- a temporary resident permit (TRP)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: