Program delivery update: Special measures for Afghanistan
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
August 24, 2021
Effective August 23, 2021, processing networks must prioritize processing family class applications, applications from protected persons in Canada and their dependants overseas, and applications from dependants of resettled Afghan refugees.
The instructions on special measures for Afghanistan provide general guidance to officers who process these types of applications.
Prioritized populations include
- Afghan citizens outside Canada who are immediate family members of Canadian citizens, persons registered under the Indian Act, or Canadian permanent residents and have made or will make
- a family class application for permanent residence or
- an application for temporary residence
- protected persons applications for permanent residence received from Afghan citizens where the spouse or partner and any children are currently residing outside of Canada
- dependants of resettled Afghan refugees
- Date modified: