Program delivery update: Employer compliance inspections - International Mobility Program and employer-specific work permit processing
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
December 2, 2022
These instructions have been updated as a result of amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations regarding the protection of foreign workers, which include several key objectives:
- Improving protections for temporary foreign workers by mandating employers to provide temporary foreign workers with information about their rights in Canada, including:
- a signed copy of an employment agreement
- prohibiting reprisal by employers against workers who come forward with complaints
- putting into regulation a key requirement for all employers to make reasonable efforts to provide access to health care services should a foreign worker become ill or injured at the workplace
- prohibiting the charging of recruitment fees to workers and holding employers accountable for the actions of recruiters in this regard
- Strengthening the government’s ability to effectively conduct inspections involving third parties (e.g., banks and payroll companies) to provide documents in support of inspections.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: