Government of Canada provides support to British Columbia to ease shelter pressures
May 17, 2019 – Ottawa, ON – The Government of Canada is committed to helping provinces adjust to pressures in delivering interim housing solutions. To assist British Columbia, the Government will provide $6 million to address costs associated with temporary housing for asylum claimants.
Providing temporary housing remains a key challenge in many provinces as the demand for shelter space has increased due to the impacts of global migration and asylum claimants seeking Canada’s protection.
This support will enable the Province of British Columbia to continue working with partners to deliver effective interim housing solutions. It will also help to strengthen the province’s capacity to identify sustainable solutions for the longer term. The funds will help offset interim housing costs incurred in the province since 2017.
“Our partnership with the Province of British Columbia has been invaluable as we work together to find sustainable solutions for vulnerable individuals in need of shelter. We remain committed to working collaboratively with our partners to address the challenges provinces face as a result of increased global migration.”
– The Honourable Bill Blair, Minister of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction
“Finding a safe place to live is essential for all people in our province, including refugee claimants who require secure housing to rebuild and settle. This funding will supplement the B.C. government’s significant investment in housing affordability, providing necessary shelter for people starting a new life in the province.”
– The Honourable Bruce Ralston, Minister of British Columbia Jobs, Trade and Technology
- National Housing Strategy
- Government of Canada Provides Housing Support for Almost 1 Million Canadian Families
- Additional support provided to ease Toronto shelter pressures
- Helping the City of Ottawa ease shelter pressures
- Government of Canada helps Toronto ease shelter pressures for asylum claimants
Contacts for media only
Senior Communications Advisor
Office of the Minister of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: