Online citizenship applications
Ottawa, August 11, 2021 – Today, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) launched a new website tool that allows citizenship applications to be submitted online.
IRCC had already been developing and testing this new tool, as part of a citizenship modernization initiative, with the goal of making the application process more efficient. The new online application is user-friendly. For example, you can now save partially completed applications and resume them at a later time, upload supporting documents and proof of payment, print a PDF and ask for confirmation of receipt.
Please note that if an applicant has applied on paper, they should not reapply online.
IRCC released the tool in late 2020 to test the platform’s capacity, and is now ready to open the online citizenship application to more cohorts of applicants, using a phased approach.
As of today, August 11, 2021, IRCC has opened its online application to all applicants age 18 and over who
- are applying as an individual (not as a family)
- do not have a representative
- are not declaring residence outside Canada as a crown servant or with a crown servant family member
In the future, more people will be able to apply online. We’ll open the online application to the following applicants next:
- minors (under 18 years of age)
- adults applying together with minors as a family or group
- applicants outside Canada who are
- crown servants or
- family members of a crown servant
- representatives applying on behalf of their clients
To apply online, please go to Apply for Canadian citizenship online.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: