Online applications available for proof of citizenship and search of citizenship records
Ottawa, November 5, 2021—Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is now accepting online applications to request proof of citizenship and search citizenship records. Applicants can submit their applications, pay the related fees, and send any required supporting documents online using the secure portal. Online applications can be used to
- request a replacement citizenship certificate (proof) that does not require changes to the information on the certificate (such as name, date of birth)
- submit straightforward claims for proof of citizenship by descent, as defined under the Citizenship Act
- request a search of citizenship records for an applicant
A straightforward claim for proof of citizenship by descent applies to applicants with a Canadian parent who was
- granted citizenship on or after April 17, 2009, or
- born in Canada on or after February 15, 1977
Completing an online application is faster than providing documents by mail. Online applications will also save time for those making requests from outside Canada and the U.S., who no longer need to go in person to an embassy or high commission to submit an application.
Paper applications will still be accepted and processed. Individuals who have already submitted a paper application should not complete an online application for the same request.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: