Apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate: How to apply

Canada Post services across Canada may be affected by ongoing delays in service from continued labour negotiations.

Our processes will be unaffected though you may experience delays in:

  • sending applications mailed within or to Canada
  • receiving mail from us

If you’re planning on traveling to Canada or submitting an application (including for a passport or other travel document), apply early.

Visit Canada Post for more information before sending any application by mail. We’ll keep you updated as we learn more.

Note: You will be able to have your sex marked as X (unspecified) on your documents. Until then, once you get your PR card or citizenship certificate, you can apply for a supporting document that says your sex should be X. Find out more.

Applying for a minor

For minors (under 18 years old), refer to our policy on parental consent. If you're applying for a minor, remember that the questions apply to the minor.

Get the application package

The package includes the instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out.

Use the instruction guide to help you fill out the forms correctly.

You must:

  • fill out all the forms
  • include all documents listed in the document checklist

Missing information or documents can delay your application.

The first time you apply

If this is the first time you're applying, you will need to send:

  • original documents or
  • clear and easy–to-read copies of all documents
    • copies must be certified, meaning a person approved by us must compare the original document to the copy and confirm that they are the same
    • you can find more information about this in part 1 of the application guide

If documents aren't in English or French, you will need:

  • the original documents, or clear and easy-to-read certified copies
  • a translation of the documents
  • a sworn statement from the person who did the translation

We can't accept translations by family members.

If you have applied before

If you have had a citizenship or naturalization certificate in the past, you must send:

  • all originals you had before
  • any pink transmission copies you still have
  • photocopies of all other needed documents

Apply for proof of citizenship urgently

Processing times show how long it takes us to process applications for a citizenship certificate (proof of citizenship). We can process applications faster in special cases.

Apply for proof of citizenship urgently

Pay the application fee

You must pay the application fee in Canadian funds. We won't refund the fee.

You may pay your fees:

  • online (preferred option)
  • at the Canadian office that serves your area, such as your:
    • embassy
    • consulate
    • high commission

The instruction guide has more detailed information on how to pay your fee.

Submit the application

Select the country/territory you will be applying from to find out where to submit your application. You can choose your country of nationality or the country/territory where you have been legally admitted:

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: