Apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate: How to apply
Canada Post services across Canada may be affected by ongoing delays in service from continued labour negotiations.
Our processes will be unaffected though you may experience delays in:
- sending applications mailed within or to Canada
- receiving mail from us
If you’re planning on traveling to Canada or submitting an application (including for a passport or other travel document), apply early.
Visit Canada Post for more information before sending any application by mail. We’ll keep you updated as we learn more.
Note: You will be able to have your sex marked as X (unspecified) on your documents. Until then, once you get your PR card or citizenship certificate, you can apply for a supporting document that says your sex should be X. Find out more.
Applying for a minor
For minors (under 18 years old), refer to our policy on parental consent. If you're applying for a minor, remember that the questions apply to the minor.
Get the application package
The package includes the instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out.
Use the instruction guide to help you fill out the forms correctly.
- fill out all the forms
- include all documents listed in the document checklist
Missing information or documents can delay your application.
The first time you apply
If this is the first time you're applying, you will need to send:
- original documents or
- clear and easy–to-read copies of all documents
- copies must be certified, meaning a person approved by us must compare the original document to the copy and confirm that they are the same
- you can find more information about this in part 1 of the application guide
If documents aren't in English or French, you will need:
- the original documents, or clear and easy-to-read certified copies
- a translation of the documents
- a sworn statement from the person who did the translation
We can't accept translations by family members.
If you have applied before
If you have had a citizenship or naturalization certificate in the past, you must send:
- all originals you had before
- any pink transmission copies you still have
- photocopies of all other needed documents
Apply for proof of citizenship urgently
Processing times show how long it takes us to process applications for a citizenship certificate (proof of citizenship). We can process applications faster in special cases.
Pay the application fee
You must pay the application fee in Canadian funds. We won't refund the fee.
You may pay your fees:
- online (preferred option)
- at the Canadian office that serves your area, such as your:
- high commission
The instruction guide has more detailed information on how to pay your fee.
Submit the application
Select the country/territory you will be applying from to find out where to submit your application. You can choose your country of nationality or the country/territory where you have been legally admitted:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- British Virgin Islands
- Burkina Faso
- Burma (Myanmar)
- Cape Verde
- Cayman Islands
- Central African Republic
- China (People’s Republic of)
- Comoros Island
- Costa Rica
- Côte d’Ivoire
- Czech Republic
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Holy See
- Hong Kong SAR
- Macao SAR
- Marshall Islands
- Micronesia (Federated States of)
- New Caledonia
- New Zealand
- North Korea
- Palestinian Authority (Gaza)
- Palestinian Authority (West Bank)
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St. Kitts and Nevis
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- Timor-Leste (Timor oriental)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- US Virgin Islands
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: