Notice – Special Authorization for dual Canadian citizens extended

Ottawa, January 27, 2017 — Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada is extending the period of time that eligible dual Canadian citizens can apply for a special authorization. This extension follows consultations with our partners, including airlines.

On November 10, 2016, the Government of Canada implemented a system to electronically verify that travellers have the appropriate travel documents to fly to, or transit through Canada before boarding their flight. As a result, Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, need to present a valid Canadian passport, temporary passport, or emergency travel document to board their flight to Canada.

To help minimize travel disruptions for dual Canadian citizens, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada introduced the special authorization form as a short-term, facilitative measure that allows eligible dual citizens with imminent travel to Canada to board their flight using their non-Canadian passport.

Despite the extension of the special authorization, dual Canadian citizens without a valid Canadian passport are strongly advised to obtain one before booking a flight to Canada to avoid any travel disruptions. A valid Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel document that provides proof that you are a Canadian citizen and have the right to enter Canada.

Dual Canadian citizens who are not eligible for the special authorization will need to contact the nearest Government of Canada office abroad to obtain the appropriate travel document to board their flight to Canada.

Page details

Date modified: