Documents for Express Entry: LMIA-exempt job offers

In most cases, your employer needs a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to support your job offer for Express Entry. Some jobs do not need an LMIA.

Your employer doesn’t need an LMIA to support your job offer if:

  1. you have been working full-time for the employer on your work permit for at least 1 year (or an equal amount of part-time work)
  2. you have a valid job offer, and
  3. you have a valid work permit that is exempt from an LMIA under:
    • an international agreement
    • a federal-provincial agreement
    • the “Canadian interests” category

Note: For skilled trade jobs, up to 2 employers can make a job offer. You must work for both those employers.

Jobs exempt from the LMIA

You may be exempt from needing an LMIA for Express Entry if your current temporary job is LMIA-exempt, states a specific employer or employers (for skilled trade jobs, up to two employers can make a job offer), and is:

  1. covered by an international agreement like CUSMA or GATS, and non-trade agreements. This can include professionals, traders and investors.
  2. covered by an agreement between Canada and a province or territory. This includes “significant investment” projects.
  3. exempt for “Canadian interests” reasons:
    1. “significant benefit” – if your employer can prove you will bring an important social, cultural, and/or economic benefit to Canada. This can include:
      1. general: Self-employed engineers, technical workers, creative and performing artists, etc.
      2. workers transferred within a company (intra-company transferees with specialized knowledge) – only those that will benefit Canada with their skills and experience
      3. workers under Mobilité francophone
    2. reciprocal employment – lets foreign workers get jobs in Canada when Canadians have similar opportunities in other countries
      1. general (such as professional coaches and athletes working for Canadian teams)
      2. International Experience Canada – a work abroad program for youth and young professionals
      3. people in exchange programs like professors and visiting lecturers
    3. designated by the Minister
      1. academics, including researchers, guest lecturers and visiting professors (sponsored through a recognized federal program)
      2. competitiveness and public policy
        • medical residents and fellows
        • post-doctoral fellows and people who have won academic awards from Canadian schools
    4. Charity and religious work (not including volunteers)

These categories can be exempt only if you also meet the criteria in the first section of this page.

Note: jobs that are exempt from needing an LMIA still need a work permit.

Page details

Date modified: