Test your language ability – Self-employed people

Language testing

If you applied on or after March 3, 2011, and you wish to have your official language proficiency considered in the assessment of your application for permanent residence, you must provide proof of language proficiency by taking a language test from an agency designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). With your test results, you will be able to see exactly how many points you will receive for the language selection factor.

You must do the following:

  • Make arrangements for testing by a IRCC-designated agency. You will have to pay the costs.
  • Include the results of your test with your immigration application.

What happens next:

  • You can use the equivalency charts to see exactly how many points you will earn based on your test results.
  • The test results will be used by IRCC as conclusive proof of your language proficiency.
  • You can use language test results for up to two years after the date you take your test, but the test results must be valid when you submit your application.

Designated language tests

You can arrange to take a language test from any of the following designated agencies.


IELTS has two options for the reading and writing tests: “General Training” and “Academic.” You must take the “General Training” option.

CELPIP has two tests: “CELPIP-General (CELPIP-G)”; and “CELPIP-Academic (CELPIP-A).” You must take the “CELPIP-G” test.


You must submit results from the following TEF tests as proof of your French language proficiency:

  • compréhension écrite
  • compréhension orale
  • expression écrite
  • expression orale


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: