Who can apply to immigrate as a self-employed person
To be eligible as a self-employed person, you must:
- have relevant experience
- intend and be able to be self-employed in Canada
- meet the selection criteria for self-employed people and
- meet medical, security and other conditions.
Your experience is relevant if you have:
- taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or
- been self-employed in cultural activities or athletics or
- experience managing a farm
See definitions of terms used for self-employed applicants for more information.
We will assess you on selection criteria that include your:
- language abilities
Medical, security and other requirements
You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.
Self-employed person means a foreign national who:
- has relevant experience
- intends and is able to be self-employed in Canada and
- can contribute to Canada’s economy in one of the required areas.
Relevant experience for a self-employed person means at least two years of experience.
It must be during the period starting five years before the day you apply and ending on the day we make a decision on your application. The experience must be:
- for cultural activities:
- two one-year periods being self-employed in cultural activities, or
- two one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in A above, and a one-year period described in B above.
- for athletics:
- two one-year periods being self-employed in athletics, or
- two one-year periods participating at a world class level in athletics, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in a above, and a one-year period described in b above, and
- for buying and managing a farm, two one-year periods managing a farm.
The province of Quebec runs its own business immigration program. If you want to live in Quebec, visit Quebec’s immigration website.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: