Foil-less visas – Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel
The foil-less visa was introduced as a special measure for Ukrainian nationals who need to travel to Canada quickly.
With a foil-less visa, you don’t need to send us your passport to get a physical visa placed in it before you travel. This can save you some time if you want to travel to Canada as soon as possible.
However, there are some differences when getting a foil-less visa compared to getting a physical visa.
Difference between a foil-less visa and a physical visa
To help you decide if you want a foil-less visa instead of a physical visa, see What’s the difference between a foil-less visa and a physical visa?
On this page
- Who can use a foil-less visa
- How to get a foil-less visa
- Travelling to Canada with a foil-less visa
- Arriving in Canada with a foil-less visa
Who can use a foil-less visa
To use a foil-less visa
- You must be a Ukrainian national with a valid passport.
- Family members who are not Ukrainian nationals do not qualify for a foil-less visa. They need to get a physical visa, even if they’re accompanying you to Canada.
- Your flight to Canada must be departing from 1 of the following countries:
- If your flight is not departing from one of the countries listed above, you cannot use a foil-less visa. You need to get a physical visa placed in your passport before you travel.
How to get a foil-less visa
When your application is approved, we’ll send you a passport request letter to ask you for your passport. After you get your letter, follow these steps to get a foil-less visa:
- Go to the web form (opens in a new tab).
- Select “I need help with something else.”
- Fill out the form.
- In the “Tell us about your situation” section
- include the keyword Ukraine2022
- mention that you'd like a foil-less visa
If you’re eligible, we’ll send you another letter that says you qualify for a foil-less visa. When you get this letter, you can use it, along with your passport, to travel to Canada.
Travelling to Canada with a foil-less visa
Your foil-less visa
- is valid to use for travel for up to 6 months or until your passport expires, whichever comes first
- This means you have up to 6 months to use it to travel to Canada.
- allows you to travel to Canada and enter once
- This means that after using your foil-less visa to travel to Canada, if you leave, you need a new visa before you can come back.
You must bring your foil-less visa letter with you when you travel.
Although your foil-less visa will be recorded in our system and verified by airlines, you need the letter when you check in for your flight and to show the Canada Border Services Agency officer when you arrive in Canada. It’s important you keep a printed or electronic copy of the letter with you while you travel.
Book a direct flight to Canada, if possible
Since the physical visa will not be in your passport, we recommend you book a direct flight to Canada, if possible. This will help avoid any issues during your travel, particularly if you’re travelling through a third country.
Arriving in Canada with a foil-less visa
After using your foil-less visa to enter Canada, you won’t be able to use it again. If you leave Canada, you need a new visa before you can come back.
Your status in Canada
When you enter Canada, you’ll be given a temporary resident status document, regardless of whether you came with a foil-less visa or a physical visa.
Depending on what you applied for, the status document could be a visitor record, a work permit, a study permit or a temporary resident permit.
Your status document
- proves that you have valid temporary resident status in Canada
- has all the conditions that you need to meet while in Canada, including how long you can stay
- In most cases, you’ll be allowed to stay for up to 3 years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.
- Date modified: