Foil-less visas – Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel

The foil-less visa was introduced as a special measure for Ukrainian nationals who need to travel to Canada quickly.

With a foil-less visa, you don’t need to send us your passport to get a physical visa placed in it before you travel. This can save you some time if you want to travel to Canada as soon as possible.

However, there are some differences when getting a foil-less visa compared to getting a physical visa.

Difference between a foil-less visa and a physical visa

To help you decide if you want a foil-less visa instead of a physical visa, see What’s the difference between a foil-less visa and a physical visa?

On this page

Who can use a foil-less visa

To use a foil-less visa

How to get a foil-less visa

When your application is approved, we’ll send you a passport request letter to ask you for your passport. After you get your letter, follow these steps to get a foil-less visa:

  1. Go to the web form (opens in a new tab).
  2. Select “I need help with something else.”
  3. Fill out the form.
  4. In the “Tell us about your situation” section
    1. include the keyword Ukraine2022
    2. mention that you'd like a foil-less visa

If you’re eligible, we’ll send you another letter that says you qualify for a foil-less visa. When you get this letter, you can use it, along with your passport, to travel to Canada.

Travelling to Canada with a foil-less visa

Your foil-less visa

You must bring your foil-less visa letter with you when you travel.

Although your foil-less visa will be recorded in our system and verified by airlines, you need the letter when you check in for your flight and to show the Canada Border Services Agency officer when you arrive in Canada. It’s important you keep a printed or electronic copy of the letter with you while you travel.

Book a direct flight to Canada, if possible

Since the physical visa will not be in your passport, we recommend you book a direct flight to Canada, if possible. This will help avoid any issues during your travel, particularly if you’re travelling through a third country.

Arriving in Canada with a foil-less visa

After using your foil-less visa to enter Canada, you won’t be able to use it again. If you leave Canada, you need a new visa before you can come back.

Your status in Canada

When you enter Canada, you’ll be given a temporary resident status document, regardless of whether you came with a foil-less visa or a physical visa.

Depending on what you applied for, the status document could be a visitor record, a work permit, a study permit or a temporary resident permit.

Your status document

Page details

Date modified: