Income tax

You must pay income tax on your income. If you have a salary, taxes are taken off automatically. If you are self-employed, you may have to pay your taxes in a single payment or in several payments.

Each year, you must submit your income tax forms to tell the government how much money you made and how much tax you paid. If you paid too much tax, you will get a refund. If you paid too little, you will have to pay more. You can get income tax forms from any post office or a Canada Revenue Agency tax services office. Federal and provincial income tax forms come in the same package, except in the province of Quebec.

If you leave Canada for a long time, you may still need to file an income tax return for that year.

Tax forms and guides are available online. There are also volunteers who can help you fill out your tax forms for free.

The deadline for completing your tax return is April 30 of each year.

You will need to file a tax return to qualify for government benefits. Learn more about:

Saving for the future

In Canada, there are many ways to help you save money to reach your goals. You can:

Other taxes

Whenever you buy something, a tax will be added to the price. In Canada, prices do not usually include these taxes.

If you own your home, you will also pay property and school taxes. Contact your city (municipal) government to learn about these taxes.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: