Valid passports and other travel documents needed to come to Canada
Your passport or travel document is considered valid if it’s:
- not expired, and
- accepted by us (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada)
If you’re coming to Canada to visit, work or study, you can’t stay beyond the expiry date of your passport.
If you’re from a visa-required country, you also need at least 1 free page in your passport or travel document where we can stick your visitor visa or permanent resident visa.
Documents we don’t accept (unreliable travel documents)
The following documents are considered unreliable and are not valid for travel to Canada:
- any passport issued by Somalia
- non-machine readable passports issued by the Czech Republic
- temporary passports issued by the Republic of South Africa
- provisional passports issued by Venezuela
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: