Agricultural workers – Work temporarily in Canada

Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program

If you are hired through the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP), you can work for any SAWP employer in Canada.

Who can apply

You can qualify for the program if:

  • you’re a citizen of a country that takes part in the program,
  • your government recruited you, and
  • you’ll be working for SAWP employers in Canada.
Participating countries
  • Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Barbados
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Jamaica
  • Mexico
  • Montserrat
  • St. Kitts-Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago

How to apply

Each foreign government has its own process to recruit and select workers. Your government will make sure that you have all of the needed documents and that you are eligible for the program.

Paying your fees

Your fees and payment options depend on where you are applying from. You may also need to pay for biometrics.

Find out how to pay your fees.

Working for different employers

You may be asked to work on more than one farm while you’re in Canada. You don’t need a new work permit for each employer.

Note: You can’t be asked to work for a different employer without your consent.

Other agricultural workers

Your work permit will be employer-specific. This means that you can only work for the employer named on your work permit.

Before you apply

Your employer must get a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). An LMIA is a document from Service Canada that allows an employer to hire a foreign worker through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

Your employer must give you:

How to apply

Get the forms and documents you need to apply for a work permit.

Working for different employers

If you plan to work for other employers (not listed on your work permit), you must apply for a new work permit. We recommend you do this as soon as possible after you enter Canada.

You can only work for one employer at a time, and you can’t work for a different employer until you receive your new work permit(s).

To apply for your new permit(s), follow these steps:

  1. Get the application package.
  2. Complete a separate application on paper for each new employer.
  3. Send all of your applications and supporting documents in the same envelope.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: