Participant Funding Program
The Participant Funding Program aims to support public engagement and Indigenous consultation during an assessment – whether it is a project-specific assessment by the Agency or review panel, regional assessment or strategic assessment. It does so by providing funding at key stages throughout an assessment process, including the implementation of follow-up programs. Participant funding contributes to an open and balanced assessment process. This strengthens the quality and credibility of federal assessments.
- Who is eligible
- Participation opportunities
- How to apply
- After you apply
- More information
- Contact the Funding Programs team
Who is eligible
Individuals, non-profit organizations, and Indigenous communities and organizations that want to take part in an assessment may apply.
The Agency proactively contacts Indigenous communities that may potentially be affected by a project and notifies them of opportunities to participate in consultation activities, and to receive financial support for that participation. Applicants must demonstrate how their participation will add value and provide relevant knowledge or expertise to the assessment. They must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Have a direct local interest in the project or regional/strategic assessment, such as living or owning property in the project area;
- Possess community knowledge or Indigenous knowledge relevant to the impact assessment or regional/strategic assessment;
- Possess expert information relevant to the anticipated impacts of the project; or
- Possess an interest in a project’s potential impacts on Treaty lands, settlement lands or traditional territories or related claims and rights.
This funding program supports public participation opportunities and Indigenous consultation opportunities posted on the Agency’s website.
The Agency only considers applications for current participation activities.
How to apply
Download and complete one of the following application forms for the relevant type of funding. To find the appropriate type of funding, check the project’s home page on the Canadian Impact Assessment Registry.
- Planning Phase [DOCX - 158 KB]
- Assessments by the Impact Assessment Agency [PDF - 2,204 KB]
- Assessments by a Review Panel [PDF - 1,484 KB]
Please submit the completed application and supporting documents to the Agency. You can email your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. To find out the deadline to submit your application, check the project’s public notice posted on the Registry, which announces the availability of funding.
Note: The Agency assumes no responsibility for misdirected or delayed application submissions.
After you apply
The Agency will contact applicants about funding decisions. This usually happens within two months after the application deadline.
The Agency will contact successful applicants and provide them with a contribution agreement to sign. Here are two examples of a contribution agreement:
- View a standard Contribution Agreement [PDF - 195 KB]
- View a schedule to a Master Contribution Agreement [PDF - 157 KB]
Detailed financial report
Successful applicants with existing contribution agreements must complete a detailed financial report to be reimbursed. This includes providing supporting invoices and/or receipts for reimbursement of eligible expenses incurred over the course of the assessment or engagement initiative.
- Funding Programs – National Programs Guidelines
- For a detailed breakdown of this year’s funding recipients, please refer to the Government of Canada’s Proactive Disclosure website.
For more information on impact assessments, consult the Basics of impact assessments.
For more information on environmental assessments, consult the Basics of environmental assessment.
Impact Assessment Agency of Canada
Disclaimer: Some electronic documents are currently only available as PDF files. To request an alternate format, please contact the Funding Programs team at email@example.com.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: