Orders in Council
About the Orders in Council Division
The Orders in Council Division provides advice and support to the Clerk of the Privy Council on a range of activities relating to the use and management of Orders in Council, Regulations and other Statutory Instruments.
The Division organizes swearing-in ceremonies for ministers, members of the Privy Council and chief justices of the Supreme and Federal Courts. The OIC Division provides secretariat support to Cabinet regarding Governor in Council (GIC) appointments, including those of Deputy Ministers, Heads of Agencies, Crown Corporation Chief Executive Officers and Directors, Ambassadors, and members of quasi-judicial review boards and tribunals. The Division also provides secretariat support to the Treasury Board members’ in their Governor in Council role regarding OICs and Regulations.
As such the OIC Division:
- receives GIC submissions from Ministers;
- distributes a weekly agenda and supporting material to TB members;
- prepares OICs and sends them to the Governor General for signature following Cabinet or Treasury Board member’s approval;
- performs the Clerk’s responsibilities under the Statutory Instruments Act regarding the registration and publication of certain OICs in the Canada Gazette;
- distributes certified true copies to sponsoring Ministers;
- posts approved OICs on the web on the third working day following approval by the Governor General (or earlier in exceptional circumstances if requested by the responsible Minister);
- maintains the official GIC files and Oath Books; and
- responds to public enquiries.
Search OIC database
The Orders in Council online database makes it easy for you to search for Orders in Council (OICs) made from 1990 to the present. The Orders in Council Division provides certified to be true copies of Orders in Councils (OICs) to the responsible Minister and Deputy Minister or agency head as soon as possible following their approval. For transparency, OICs are publicly available on the third working day after approval by the Governor General, but in exceptional circumstances, OICs may be posted on the web prior to the third working day if requested by the responsible Minister. Of note, certain Acts (namely the Statutory Instruments Act, the Access to Information Act, the Privacy Act and the Investment Canada Act) contain provisions which prohibit the release of OICs pertaining to national security or military operations or those containing personal or commercially-sensitive information.
Search the OIC database
The Orders in Council available through this website are not to be considered to be official versions, and are provided only for information purposes. If you wish to obtain an official version, please contact the Orders in Council Division.
How to Obtain Certified Copies
- Made within the last 5 years – contact us directly by Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Made 5 years ago or longer – contact the Library and Archives Canada Reference Centre by visiting their website, or by:
- Telephone: (613) 996-5115
- Toll free: 1-866-578-7777 (Canada and United States)
- Fax: (613) 995-6274
- Telephone: (613) 996-5115
Historical Orders in Council made between 1867 and 1910 can be found on the Orders in Council Research Tool (Library and Archives Canada)
- Process Guide for Governor in Council Submissions (Other than Regulations)
The purpose of the Process Guide for Governor in Council (GIC) submissions (other than regulations) is to provide step by-step instructions in preparing submissions for consideration by the GIC.
- Submission Guide for Governor in Council Appointments
The purpose of this guide is to provide Government of Canada officials with a better understanding of Governor in Council appointments and the guidelines to follow as they relate to submitting an appointment for Governor in Council approval.
- Guide to Making Federal Acts and Regulations
General Inquiries: E-mail: email@example.com
Orders in Council Division
Privy Council Office
85 Sparks Street
Room 418, Blackburn Building
Governor in Council (GIC) Submissions:
- For assistance in preparing submissions and to obtain examples of required documentation, contact the TBS-RAS analyst responsible for your department or call (613) 943-5076 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- For routine items which are not sent to TBS-RAS, contact PCO, Orders in Council Division, for assistance (613) 957‑5435 or (613) 957-5433. Examples of routine items are listed in section 3.1 (Category B) of the process guide.
Governor in Council (GIC) Appointments:
Coordinator, Appointments and Special Events, at 613-957-5195.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: