Medical and clinical microbiology and infectious diseases rotation program
On this page
Canada's National Microbiology Laboratory (NML) offers a medical and clinical microbiology infectious diseases rotation program.
The program connects future infectious disease leaders from across Canada to:
- NML scientists
- NML services and research
- the Canadian Public Health Laboratory Network
About the program
The program lasts 2 weeks and takes place about 3 times a year in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Trainees will learn about the research and services that the NML provides. They will talk with scientists about:
- field and laboratory outbreak response activities
- surveillance activities and the resulting public health actions
- the process of reporting lab results to client labs and other authorities
They will learn about the lab's unique testing activities, such as:
- test methods and lab equipment and services
- the significance of different pathogens and diseases
- sample collection and information required for testing
- diagnostic and reference testing platforms and technology
They will also learn about the planned innovations and applied research conducted at the lab, as well as biosafety and biosecurity concerns on laboratory activities.
How we evaluate trainees
Trainees are evaluated at the end of the rotation program. Part of the evaluation includes a review of their case study, which they complete on a topic of their choice.
The case study should reflect their knowledge in identifying, validating and reporting an outbreak or a rare infectious disease.
The case study should demonstrate their knowledge of the lab's:
- core technology
- diagnostic tools and research
There is no cost to participate in our rotation program. However, trainees are responsible for any expenses associated with their participation, such as:
For more information
For information about admissions, visit the Contact the Public Health Agency of Canada page.
To fill out the online contact form:
- choose "Other" for the category under "What can we help you with"
- include your request for information about the program in the comments section of the form
For more information on the program, email email@example.com.
- Date modified: