Help reduce antibiotic resistance
Antibiotic resistance occurs when bacteria that can make you sick change so that the antibiotics used to treat them do not work as well.
Lower your risk of getting sick
- Keep your hands clean.
- Keep your germs to yourself.
- Get vaccinated.
- Clean common surfaces with soap and water.
- If you're sick, stay home.
- Store, handle and prepare food safely.
- Practice safer sex.
If you are prescribed antibiotics by a healthcare professional
Use them as directed:
- take the exact amount
- at the right time of day
- for the exact amount of time
Don't share antibiotics with anyone.
If you are told to stop taking antibiotics, return unused medicine to the pharmacy.
To learn more visit: canada.ca/antibiotics
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: