Risks of Giardia infection (giardiasis)
Learn about the risks of Giardia infection and who is most at risk.
On this page
Risks of getting Giardia infection
Your risk of getting Giardia infection is highest if you come into contact with contaminated:
- infected animals, such as pets and livestock
Canadian drinking water provided by municipalities is safe as there are systems in place to protect Canadians from Giardia infection.
Who is most at risk
Giardia can infect all people although there are some people that are more at risk, such as:
- people who eat contaminated food, such as fish
- people who care for those sick with Giardia infection
- children (up to 9 years old) in daycare centres and schools
- people who are exposed to human feces during sexual contact
- hikers, campers or backpackers who may drink or come into contact with untreated water
- people who travel to countries, especially developing countries, where Giardia infection may be common
Complications such as dehydration can occur in rare cases.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: