Prevention of shigellosis (Shigella)
Learn how shigellosis can be prevented.
How to prevent shigellosis
It can be difficult to prevent illness because contaminated foods and beverages look, smell and taste normal.
Lower your chance of getting shigellosis by:
- following general food safety practices
- washing your hands often and properly
- cooking food to a safe internal temperature
- washing raw fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating
- drinking water from a safe (treated or boiled) source
- avoiding sexual activity with those who have diarrhea or who recently recovered from diarrhea
Do not prepare food or pour water for other people if you think you are:
- sick with shigellosis
- suffering from any other contagious illness causing diarrhea
You can help prevent others from getting sick by contacting your local public health authority to report:
- unclean restaurants or grocery stores
- suspected food poisoning from a restaurant or other food establishments
Talk to your health care provider or visit a travel health clinic 6 weeks before you travel.
For more information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: