Prevention of valley fever (coccidioidomycosis)
Learn how valley fever can be prevented.
On this page
How can valley fever infections be prevented?
There is no vaccine or medication to prevent valley fever.
However, you are less likely to become ill if you avoid breathing in outdoor dust in affected areas. If you are travelling to places known to have valley fever, you should:
- avoid some outdoor areas, such as:
- construction sites
- places where dirt is being dug up, such as farms
- stay inside after dust storms and close your windows
- use air filtration measures
- avoid doing gardening, yard work or anything that puts you at close contact with dirt or dust
- clean cuts and scrapes with soap and water
For more information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: