Government of Canada jobs for Indigenous people
Find and apply to Government of Canada jobs and training opportunities for Indigenous people, including students and graduates:
- opportunities for Indigenous students
- opportunities for Indigenous job seekers (high school and college or university graduates)
Count yourself in! Self-declare as an Indigenous person when you apply
The Government of Canada is committed to building a workforce that is representative of Canada’s population.
Some public service jobs are only open to Indigenous people, and to be considered for these opportunities, you need to self-declare when you apply. You can choose how the information you provide will be used, whether for statistical purposes only or to be considered for a job.
If you’re selected for a position, you may be asked to sign the Affirmation of Aboriginal Affiliation Form if it’s required for the staffing process.
“Indigenous peoples” and “Aboriginal peoples” refer to people who are North American Indian or members of a First Nation, Métis or Inuit. North American Indians or members of a First Nation include treaty, status or
registered Indians, as well as non-status and non-registered Indians. The term “Indigenous peoples” is used on this page, and aligns with international usage. “Aboriginal peoples” is the legislative term that appears in
the Employment Equity Act and the Employment Equity Regulations.
Learn more about employment equity.
Job opportunities for Indigenous students
There are many public-service wide job opportunities available to you, as well as opportunities run by specific departments and agencies. Keep reading to learn more about these opportunities.
Public service-wide job opportunities
- Indigenous Student Employment Opportunity
Open year-round to Indigenous students. As a successful applicant, you’ll benefit from support, training and networking from the moment you’re hired.
- Federal Student Work Experience Program
Open year-round to high school, college and university students. Get valuable and meaningful experience working for the top student employer in Canada! Explore hundreds of career paths and thousands of jobs.
- Research Affiliate Program
Open year-round to post-secondary students looking to gain federal public service experience while conducting innovative research.
Job opportunities run by specific departments and agencies
- Indigenous student jobs at Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada and Indigenous Services Canada
- Indigenous Student Recruitment Initiative at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Summer Training Programs at the Department of National Defence
- Indigenous Student Employment Program at the Canada Revenue Agency
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency's Indigenous Summer Student Program
Be sure to visit GC Jobs to find out about other recruitment programs in other federal departments and agencies.
Job opportunities for Indigenous job seekers (high school and college or university graduates)
Learn more about the opportunities that are available to you.
Job opportunities for Indigenous job seekers
- Entry Level Opportunities at Indigenous Services - Ontario Region – closes August 2021
- Indigenous Recruitment - Project Management Officer / Maintenance Management Specialist and Project Officer/Senior Estimator at Public Services and Procurement Canada – Ottawa, Gatineau – closes August 2021
- Various opportunities for Indigenous people in the Québec region – Canada Revenue Agency - Closes December 31, 2021
- Indigenous Services Canada is hiring, come join us to make a difference! (Ongoing inventory) – Indigenous Services Canada – Closes May 3 2022
Government of Canada Jobs in Nunavut for Nunavut Inuit
Are you an Inuk enrolled under the Nunavut Agreement? Are you interested in making a difference in Nunavut? Apply to this recruitment inventory, which matches Nunavut Inuit with various job opportunities offered by Government of Canada organizations across Nunavut! Don’t worry if you don’t have a lot of experience, as we can also provide training. If you need help in applying, please contact Pilimmaksaivik, the Federal Centre of Excellence on for Inuit Employment, at Pilimmaksaivik@canada.ca or at 1-833-836-3547.
Training opportunities and profiles for Indigenous people
- Canadian Armed Forces Aboriginal Entry Program
3-week program for Indigenous people considering a career in the Canadian Armed Forces, including hands-on military training, career and lifestyle experience.
- Aboriginal Leadership Opportunities Year at National Defense
1-year educational program offered to Indigenous people through the Royal Military College of Canada.
- Indigenous employment at Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada and Indigenous Services Canada
- Indigenous recruitment at Canada Border Services Agency
- Aboriginal-specific job profiles at Correctional Services Canada
Profiles of various Indigenous jobs at Correctional Service Canada, including some job links
- Aboriginal Role Models at Correctional Services Canada
Profiles featuring Indigenous staff talking about their experiences and contributions. Check back often to read new stories about employees from different parts of Canada!
Job opportunities open to Indigenous employees of the federal public service
- Job opportunities at Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada, and Indigenous Services Canada – at level or equivalent – closes August 2021
- Indigenous Inventory at Employment and Social Development Canada – at level only – closes August 2021
- Indigenous inventory at Employment and Social Development Canada – Executives – at level only – closes August 2021
- Looking for new talent – At level inventory for Indigenous employees – Public Services and Procurement Canada – closes August 2021
- Indigenous Services Canada – First Nations and Inuit Health Branch - Charge Nurse, Remote Registered Nurse – Treaty 8, Northern Alberta
- Indigenous Services Canada - First Nations and Inuit Health Branch - Charge Nurse (Nurse In Charge) - Positions are in remote and/or isolated communities
- Indigenous Services Canada - First Nations and Inuit Health Branch - Community Health Nurse (CHN) at - Positions are in remote and/or isolated first nations communities
Public service-wide job opportunities open to all Canadians
Be sure to visit GC Jobs to find out about recruitment programs in other federal departments and agencies and browse through all the available opportunities.
For more information about job and training opportunities for Indigenous people, contact the Aboriginal Centre of Expertise at: email@example.com.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: