Jobs for Indigenous people
Find and apply to Government of Canada jobs and training opportunities for Indigenous people, including students and graduates:
- opportunities for Indigenous students
- opportunities for Indigenous job seekers (high school and college or university graduates)
Count yourself in! Self-declare as an Indigenous person when you apply
The Government of Canada is committed to building a workforce that is representative of Canada’s population.
Some public service jobs are only open to Indigenous people, and to be considered for these opportunities, you need to self-declare when you apply. You can choose how the information you provide will be used, whether for statistical purposes only or to be considered for a job.
If you’re selected for a position, you may be asked to sign the Affirmation of Aboriginal Affiliation Form if it’s required for the staffing process.
“Indigenous peoples” and “Aboriginal peoples” refer to people who are North American Indian or members of a First Nation, Métis or Inuit. North American Indians or members of a First Nation include treaty, status or registered Indians, as well as non-status and non-registered Indians. The term “Indigenous peoples” is used on this page, and aligns with international usage. “Aboriginal peoples” is the legislative term that appears in the Employment Equity Act and the Employment Equity Regulations.
Learn more about employment equity.
Job opportunities for Indigenous students
There are many public-service wide job opportunities available to you, as well as opportunities run by specific departments and agencies. Keep reading to learn more about these opportunities.
Public service-wide job opportunities
- Indigenous Student Employment Opportunity
Open year-round to Indigenous students. As a successful applicant, you’ll benefit from support, training and networking from the moment you’re hired.
- Federal Student Work Experience Program
Open year-round to high school, college and university students. Get valuable and meaningful experience working for the top student employer in Canada! Explore hundreds of career paths and thousands of jobs. Learn more about Indigenous students’ experience with this program.
- Research Affiliate Program
Open year-round to post-secondary students looking to gain federal public service experience while conducting innovative research.
Job opportunities run by specific departments and agencies
- Indigenous student jobs at Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada and Indigenous Services Canada
- Indigenous Student Recruitment Initiative at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Summer Training Programs at the Department of National Defence
- Indigenous Student Employment Program at the Canada Revenue Agency
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency's Indigenous Summer Student Program
Be sure to visit GC Jobs to find out about other recruitment programs in other federal departments and agencies.
Job opportunities for Indigenous job seekers (high school and college or university graduates)
Learn more about the opportunities that are available to you.
Job opportunities for Indigenous job seekers
- Government of Canada Jobs in Nunavut for Nunavut Inuit
Open to all Nunavut Inuit (beneficiaries of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement). If you are Nunavummiut and need help with your application to Nunavut jobs, contact Pilimmaksaivik, the Federal Centre of Excellence on Inuit Employment, at Pilimmaksaivik@cannor.gc.ca.
- Aboriginal Liaison Officer Inventory – Correctional Service Canada - various locations in Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan - closes February 2020
- Job opportunities for Aboriginal Peoples – Casual Inventory – Correctional Service Canada – Saskatchewan – closes February 2020
- Job opportunities for Indigenous Peoples, at Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada and Indigenous Services Canada - various locations - closes March 2020
- INDIGENOUS Inventory for a Career with Service Canada - Greater Toronto area – closes July 2020
- Entry Level Opportunities at Indigenous Services - Ontario Region – closes August 2021
- Indigenous Recruitment - Project Management Officer / Maintenance Management Specialist and Project Officer/Senior Estimator at Public Services and Procurement Canada – Ottawa, Gatineau – closes August 2021
Training opportunities and profiles for Indigenous people
- Canadian Armed Forces Aboriginal Entry Program
3-week program for Indigenous people considering a career in the Canadian Armed Forces, including hands-on military training, career and lifestyle experience.
- Aboriginal Leadership Opportunities Year at National Defense
1-year educational program offered to Indigenous people through the Royal Military College of Canada.
- Indigenous employment at Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada and Indigenous Services Canada
- The diversity of jobs: watch this video showing different jobs at Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada, and Indigenous Services Canada.
- Indigenous recruitment at Canada Border Services Agency
- Aboriginal-specific job profiles at Correctional Services Canada
Profiles of various Indigenous jobs at Correctional Service Canada, including some job links
- Aboriginal Role Models at Correctional Services Canada
Profiles featuring Indigenous staff talking about their experiences and contributions. Check back often to read new stories about employees from different parts of Canada!
Job opportunities open to Indigenous employees of the federal public service
- Job opportunities at Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada, and Indigenous Services Canada – at level or equivalent – closes August 2021
- Indigenous Inventory at Employment and Social Development Canada – at level only – closes August 2021
- Indigenous inventory at Employment and Social Development Canada – Executives – at level only – closes August 2021
- Looking for new talent – At level inventory for Indigenous employees – Public Services and Procurement Canada – closes August 2021
Public service-wide job opportunities open to all Canadians
Be sure to visit GC Jobs to find out about recruitment programs in other federal departments and agencies and browse through all the available opportunities.
For more information about job and training opportunities for Indigenous people, contact the Aboriginal Centre of Expertise at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: