Two extra days to fill out CRTC’s survey on telecommunications sales practices
September 6, 2018 – Ottawa-Gatineau – Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)
The CRTC announced today that Canadians have two extra days to fill out an online survey to help it better understand their experiences with the sales practices of large telecommunications service providers.
Canadians now have until September 9, 2018, midnight PDT to participate.
This survey, launched on August 27, is part of the CRTC’s consultation, which will result in a report to the government on whether misleading or aggressive retail sales practices are used by large telecommunications service providers, their impact on consumers, as well as potential solutions to strengthen the existing consumer protections.
The CRTC will also conduct focus groups across the country and hold a public hearing to further explore these issues. The hearing will start on October 22, 2018.
As directed by the Governor-in-Council, the CRTC is seeking comments on:
- Misleading practices such as failing to provide consumers with the information necessary to make informed decisions or providing incomplete, unclear or misleading information.
- Aggressive sales practices including offering products to consumers that are unsuitable for them and the abuse of an ill-informed or vulnerable consumer base to benefit the providers.
- The harm, or risk of harm, to consumers related to their finances or situations that could cause stress, confusion and frustration as a result of aggressive or misleading sales practices.
The CRTC published a notice of consultation inviting Canadians to submit an intervention between July 16 and August 30, 2018.
The CRTC must submit its report to the government by February 28, 2019.
- Canadians are invited to share their experiences with telecommunications sales practices
- Inquiry on use of misleading or aggressive sales practices by large telecommunications service providers
- Notice of consultation- Report regarding the retail sales practices of Canada’s large telecommunications carriers
- Request for Information - Report regarding the retail sales practices of Canada’s large telecommunications carriers
- Order in Council concerning high-pressure telecommunications sales practices
- Telecommunications Act
In Canada, toll-free: 1-877-249-CRTC (2782)
Outside Canada: 819-997-0313
In Canada toll-free: 1-877-909-CRTC (2782)
Outside Canada: 819-994-0423
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: