CRTC Broadband Fund launches second call to improve Internet access and mobile wireless services across Canada
“All Canadians should be able to participate in the digital economy. We are now accepting additional funding applications to improve access to broadband Internet and mobile wireless services in all underserved regions of Canada. Prospective applicants are encouraged to work with partners and to submit high-quality projects that will make a real difference in the lives of Canadians no matter where they live.”
Ian Scott, Chairperson and CEO, CRTC
The CRTC’s universal service objective for fixed Internet access service is that all Canadians have access to at least 50 megabits per second (Mbps) download and 10 Mbps upload, with an option of unlimited data.
The CRTC’s goal is to achieve 90% coverage by the end of 2021 and 100% as soon as possible within the next decade.
The universal service objective for mobile wireless services is that all Canadians have access to the latest generally deployed mobile wireless technology (currently LTE). It should be accessible in homes, businesses and along major roads.
The CRTC launched the first call for applications for the Broadband Fund on June 3, 2019. It received 15 applications targeting the territories and satellite-dependent communities, and expects to announce the selected projects in 2020.
The CRTC’s Broadband Fund is designed to complement private-sector investments and public-sector initiatives.
A comparative selection approach will be used to evaluate and select projects for funding, which will be conducted in a three-step process: eligibility, assessment and selection.
Special consideration may be given to projects proposing to improve service in Indigenous or official-language minority communities.
- Telecom Notice of consultation CRTC 2019-372 Broadband Fund – Call for applications
- Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2019-191 Broadband Fund – Call for applications
- Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2019-190 Broadband Fund – Modifications to the Application Guide
- CRTC announces details of the Broadband Fund
- Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2018 – 377 - Development of the Commission’s broadband funding regime
- CRTC establishes fund to attain new high-speed Internet targets
- Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2016-496 – Modern telecommunications services – The path forward for Canada’s digital economy
- Broadband Fund
Toll-free 1 (877) 249-CRTC (2782)
TTY (819) 994-0423
Ask a question or make a complaint
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: