Strengthening equity, diversity and inclusion in research
When measures to increase equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) strengthen the research ecosystem, Canada will be in a position to tap into its full potential for developing talent and new discoveries. EDI measures that reduce systemic barriers and biases experienced by underrepresented and equity-seeking groups in research also support a more innovative economy. By considering differing views, ideas and approaches, equitable and inclusive practices help promote research excellence that better addresses the needs of a diverse Canadian population.
In 2018, the CRCC led Canada-wide consultations with the research community to discuss barriers experienced by underrepresented groups, and mechanisms for providing fairer access to research funds and opportunities. These discussions contributed to Canada’s tri-agency (which includes the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council, and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council) implementation of a number of initiatives. These include: a harmonized tri-agency statement on EDI, the Dimensions charter and pilot program for fostering greater EDI in postsecondary institutions, and adoption of EDI best practices in the New Frontiers in Research Fund.
- Tri-Agency Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Tri-agency action plan to address systemic barriers and increase equity, diversity and inclusion in the postsecondary research ecosystem
- Dimensions charter and pilot program
- Dimensions recognition program
- New Frontiers in Research Fund Best Practices in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Other links of interest
- Canada Research Chairs: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Requirements and Practices
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in the Research System
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council: Equity, diversity and inclusion
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council: Equity, diversity and inclusion in the research enterprise
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: