Submit documents online
Secure. Efficient. Reliable.
When you scan and send documents to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) online, it’s secure and reliable, and it makes sending documents to the CRA easier and more efficient. You can keep your originals because you’ll get a confirmation number and a reference number to use in future communications with the CRA.
What is it?
The CRA lets taxpayers or their authorized representatives and discounters to send supporting documents in a secure online environment to validate information provided on their tax returns or in their claims for benefits.
The information below will help you or your authorized representative take the steps needed to submit documents online through one of the CRA’s secure online service portals.
Before submitting documents online, make sure you meet the following requirements:
- You are registered for one of the CRA’s secure online service portals (My Account, My Business Account, or Represent a Client). Your authorized representative is able (if required) to submit documents for you.
- Your files are saved in a format that the CRA can accept.
- Common allowable file formats are: .pdf, .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .rtf, .txt, .jpg, .jpeg, .tiff, .tif, .xps.
- If more than one file is being uploaded, each must have a unique name.
- Submitted files may be zipped but must not be password encrypted, as this will prevent the CRA’s system from scanning for viruses. Files that can’t be scanned for viruses will be securely deleted.
- The total size of your submission does not exceed 150MB.
- The upload rate will depend on the speed on your local Internet.
Submitting documents for compliance and audit programs
- In addition to the acceptable file formats listed above, the CRA accepts all safe file formats for cases related to compliance and audit programs
- The total size of all files you send cannot exceed 1 GB (approximately 1,000 MB)
- A limit of ten files per submission also applies
Submitting documents online with or without a case or reference number
- If you have a case or reference number and have been asked to submit documents by a CRA official either by mail, by phone, or in person use that number to submit the relevant documents.
- If you are submitting additional documents to support a previous submission, use the case or reference number that was provided to you for that submission.
- If you do not have a case or reference number, the service will allow you to submit documents for specific programs.
- Log in to the appropriate portal:
- Select "Submit documents" and follow the instructions using your case or reference number, or
- Select the link “I do not have a case or reference number” and select the applicable task from the list.
- If the task you wish to complete is not included on the picklist, send your documents by mail to your tax centre.
After documents are submitted
- When your documents are successfully submitted, you will receive a confirmation number and a reference number. Make sure to take note of these numbers and keep them in a safe place for future reference.
- Should you have additional documents to include that relate to the first submission, you can include them at any time using the case/reference number.
- Keep track of the version of the documents that you sent to the CRA.
- If you have technical problems submitting documents online, contact us for assistance:
- If you have questions about a CRA request to submit documents, contact the CRA official who requested the documents.
My Business Account – How to use the Submit documents service
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: