Who can be a subscriber

Except for family plans, generally, there are no restrictions on who can be the original subscriber under an RESP:

If you are not the original subscriber, you can become a subscriber only if one of the following situations applies:

All subscribers under an RESP have to give their social insurance number (SIN) to the promoter before CRA can register the RESP. Where the subscriber is a public primary caregiver, we request that they provide the promoter with their business number.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: