Close a supplementary unemployment benefit plan
A supplementary unemployment benefit plan (SUBP) can be closed when an employer terminates the plan.
Remove a participating employer
If a SUBP has more than one participating employer and one of the employers no longer wants to contribute, go to Amendments and follow the instructions for adding or removing employers.
Terminate the plan
If an employer decides to close the SUBP, then the employer and/or trustee will need to send us the following:
- a letter, plan amendment, or a copy of the board resolution stating the date that the plan was wound up
- a copy of the financial statements of the trust at the date of wind-up
- a statement from the trustee with the date and the method of disbursement
The acceptable methods of disbursement are either:
- continue to pay benefits to eligible employees until all the funds in the trust account are depleted before winding up the plan
- refund the amount in the trust account to the participating employer(s)
- if the employer has another SUBP registered with the Canada Revenue Agency, on termination they can transfer the final amount to the remaining SUBP
If you want to use a different disbursement method, you must write to us before paying any amounts from the trust account.
Mail CRA your plan closure information
To close a SUBP, send the required documentation to:
Registered Plans Directorate
Canada Revenue Agency
Ottawa ON K1A 0L5
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: