Financial assistance for reservists
If you are a reservist and a full-time post-secondary student, you will not be charged interest or have to start paying back your student loan while you are serving in designated operations, even if they last more than six months.
To be eligible, you must:
- be in the Canadian Reserves;
- be enrolled in at least 60 percent of a full course load;
- have stopped your full-time study to serve in a designated operation;
- have a federal student loan but have not started to repay it; and
- plan to return to school after your designated operations.
You may have to make payments on the provincial/territorial portion of your loan. If so, the Government of Canada will make sure that the interest you pay goes toward the provincial/territorial loan.
Download and complete the Confirmation of posting assignment for full-time students form and submit it to the National Student Loans Service Centre at the address shown on the form to receive interest-free status. Be sure to attach a copy of your Notification of Posting Instructions that you received from the Department of National Defense.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: