Financial assistance for reservists  

If you are a reservist and a full-time post-secondary student, you will not have to start paying back your Canada Student Loan while you are serving in designated operations. Even if they last more than 6 months.


To be eligible, you must:

  • be in the Canadian Reserves
  • be enrolled in at least 60 percent of a full course load
  • have stopped your full-time study to serve in a designated operation
  • have a federal student loan but have not started to repay it, and
  • plan to return to school after your designated operations

You may have to make payments on the provincial/territorial portion of your loan. If so, the Government of Canada will make sure that the interest you pay goes toward the provincial/territorial loan.


Download and complete the Confirmation of Posting Assignment for Full-Time Students (PDF, 112 KB) and submit it to the National Student Loans Service Centre at the address on the form to receive payment-free status. Be sure to attach a copy of your Notification of Posting Instructions that you received from the Department of National Defense.

Page details

Date modified: