Financial assistance for reservists
If you are a reservist and a full-time post-secondary student, you will not be charged interest or have to start paying back your student loan while you are serving in designated operations, even if they last more than 6 months.
To be eligible, you must:
- be in the Canadian Reserves
- be enrolled in at least 60 percent of a full course load
- have stopped your full-time study to serve in a designated operation
- have a federal student loan but have not started to repay it, and
- plan to return to school after your designated operations
You may have to make payments on the provincial/territorial portion of your loan. If so, the Government of Canada will make sure that the interest you pay goes toward the provincial/territorial loan.
Download and complete the Confirmation of Posting Assignment for Full-Time Students (PDF, 112 KB) and submit it to the National Student Loans Service Centre at the address shown on the form to receive interest-free status. Be sure to attach a copy of your Notification of Posting Instructions that you received from the Department of National Defense.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: