Incorporating in a specific province or territory

If you have decided to incorporate in a specific province or territory instead of incorporating federally, you will need to follow the steps outlined here.

Provincial/territorial incorporation

To complete your incorporation, go to the registrar of your provincial or territorial government.

Extra-provincial and extra-territorial incorporation

If you are planning to operate in other provinces or territories, you will also need to register as an extra-provincial or extra-territorial corporation in those jurisdictions.

Extra-provincial and extra-territorial registration

Federal business number and tax accounts

You will need:

  • a federal business number
  • a corporation income tax program account

You may also need other tax accounts (for example, GST/HST, payroll, import/export). If you need these accounts, you can register for them at the same time as your business number.

When you incorporate in the following provinces or territories, you will automatically receive a business number and corporation income tax program account.

  • British Columbia
  • Manitoba
  • New Brunswick
  • Nova Scotia
  • Ontario
  • Saskatchewan

When you incorporate in the following provinces or territories, you will need to register for a business number.

  • Alberta
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Northwest Territories
  • Nunavut
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Quebec
  • Yukon

Register for a business number

Permits and licences

You may also need permits and licences from the federal, provincial/territorial and municipal governments.

Get a list of permits and licences you may need from all three levels of government

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: