Consultation: Proposal to amend the list of maximum residue limits for veterinary drugs in foods - Proposed MRL 2020-1
From Health Canada
Current status: Closed
This consultation ran from June 12, 2020 to August 28, 2020.
We want your comments on a proposal to amend the List of Maximum Residue Limits (MRLs) for Veterinary Drugs in Foods (the List).
At Health Canada's Veterinary Drugs Directorate (VDD), we:
- ensure the safety of foods produced in Canada from food-producing animals treated with veterinary drugs
- approve veterinary drugs for sale in Canada by conducting scientific reviews
- set standards such as MRLs in the tissues and food products from food-producing animals
- foods containing veterinary drug residues up to the established MRL levels are safe for human consumption
We notify the public before making changes to the List, when we:
- establish new MRLs
- makes changes to current MRLs
To meet Canada's international trade obligations, we notify the World Trade Organization of the consultation on the proposed MRLs.
Join in: how to participate
Send an email with your comments related to scientific or safety issues of the proposed MRLs.
Who is the focus of this consultation
The Government of Canada will engage with:
- other government departments
- pharmaceutical companies
- Canada's trading partners
- veterinary professionals
- other interested parties
- veterinary associations
- food animal producers
- general public
Goals of the consultation
The goal of the consultation is to get your comments on the Proposed MRL 2020-1.
After the consultation, we will:
- address any of your scientific or safety concerns before we finalize the MRLs
- post a final notice to amend the list of MRLs with the effective implementation date
Key question for consultation
We are seeking your input on the Proposed MRL 2020-1.
- Do you have any scientific or safety concerns on the impact of proposed MRLs on consumer health? Please send them to us.
- Proposed MRL 2020-1
- List of Maximum Residue Limits (MRLs) for Veterinary Drugs in Foods
- Maximum Residue Limits
Veterinary Drugs Directorate
Health Products and Foods Branch, Health Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: