Consultation on the proposed Tobacco Products Regulations (Plain and Standardized Appearance)
From Health Canada
Current status: Closed
This consultation ran from June 23, 2018 to September 6, 2018.
We were seeking comments on the proposed Tobacco Products Regulations (Plain and Standardized Appearance) and the Order to amend Schedule 1 to the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act which have been recently published in Canada Gazette, Part I.
The Tobacco and Vaping Products Act received Royal Assent on May 23, 2018. This Act enables the Government of Canada to apply plain and standardized appearance measures to all tobacco packages and certain tobacco products.
The objectives of the proposed Regulations are to:
- Protect youth and others from starting to use tobacco products and becoming dependent on them; and,
- Prevent the public from being deceived or misled about the health hazards of using tobacco products.
Who is the focus of this consultation
We engaged with:
- General public
- Health professionals and associations
- Provinces and territories
- Academics and experts
- Other interested parties
Goals of the consultation
- The purpose of this consultation was to get feedback on the proposed measures to standardize the appearance of tobacco packages and certain tobacco products.
- Canada's Tobacco Strategy
- Tobacco and Vaping Products Act News Release
- Plain and Standardized Appearance News Release
- Plain and Standardized Appearance Backgrounder
- Plain and Standardized Packaging Consultation Summary (2016)
Tobacco Control Directorate
Address Locator 0301A, 150 Tunney's Pasture Driveway
Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: