Government of Canada opens new, state-of-the-art enterprise data centre
September 17, 2018, Borden, Ontario – Canadians expect modern, reliable and secure online Government of Canada services. Shared Services Canada (SSC), Defence Construction Canada (DCC) and the Department of National Defence (DND) are proud to officially open a new enterprise data centre (EDC) in Borden, Ontario.
EDC Borden is a state-of-the-art data centre that:
- supports federal government online program and service delivery to Canadians
- provides greater physical and cyber security for Canadians’ personal information
- offers a long-term IT solution for Government of Canada growth and Canadians’ growing use of digital services
This project is a result of strong collaboration between SSC, DCC and DND. It also serves as an example of the Government of Canada’s investments in:
- green infrastructure and a cleaner environment
- a stronger economy, by creating infrastructure and construction jobs for Canadians
The Government of Canada is closing outdated legacy data centres as it opens faster, more secure and more reliable enterprise data centres.
“This new facility is another great example of government partners working together. Such modern federal information technology infrastructure provides better value and security, improves service delivery for Canadians and greens government.”
– Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Accessibility
“Our government is investing in new information technology infrastructure to enhance and protect Canada’s information systems. The strong partnership between National Defence, Shared Services Canada and Defence Construction Canada is key to the success of this important project, which will help keep Canada strong at home, secure in North America and engaged in the world.”
– Harjit Singh Sajjan, Minister of National Defence
- In May 2016, the Government of Canada awarded a 25-year, $322M public-private partnership contract to UIP GP to design, build, finance, operate and maintain the new EDC Borden.
- The new EDC Borden can handle 10 times more information technology workload than the previous data centre.
- EDC Borden is designed to achieve a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, or LEED, Silver certification level rating for new construction from the Canada Green Building Council, a worldwide green building certification program. This green building will save large amounts of energy and water.
- EDC Borden will eliminate the need for maintenance shutdowns. This means fewer interruptions of services to Canadians.
- 30 -
Ashley Michnowski, Press Secretary
Office of the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
Shared Services Canada
Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn!
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: