Information Technology occupational group
Information Technology (IT) Group Definition
Pursuant to paragraph 11.1(1)(b) of the Financial Administration Act, the Treasury Board of Canada hereby provides notice that the Computer Systems (CS) Group, effective March 18, 1999, as defined and published in Part I of the Canada Gazette on March 27, 1999, is replaced by the Information Technology Group, effective December 9, 2021.
The Information Technology (IT) Group comprises positions for which the application of comprehensive computer systems knowledge is the primary requirement to the development, implementation and/or maintenance of information technology systems and infrastructure.
Notwithstanding the generality of the foregoing, for greater certainty, it includes positions that have, as their primary purpose, responsibility for one or more of the following activities:
- designing, developing, integrating, deploying, and/or maintaining software, hardware, or network systems;
- providing technical support, service and control for software, hardware, and network infrastructure;
- providing technical analysis, advice and recommendations on IT systems, products and services;
- researching, developing, implementing, or evaluating information technology policies, directives, standards, and frameworks; or
- leading, managing, or supervising any of the above activities.
Positions excluded from the Information Technology Group are those whose primary purpose is included in the definition of any other occupational group or those in which one or more of the following activities is of primary importance:
- the planning, development, delivery or management of administrative and federal government policies, programs, services or other activities directed to the public or to the Public Service;
- the support or provision of administrative, scientific, professional or technical services that may involve limited or specific application of information technology skills and knowledge as an auxiliary to the performance of the activities central to the primary purpose of the position (for example, positions using geographic information systems, web development, human resource systems or performing scientific research); or
- planning, business analysis, information management (that is, positions that support the management of information in an organization, such as organizing, disseminating, disposing, or preserving), or data manipulation activities that do not require comprehensive information technology systems knowledge (for example, positions which are responsible for the content generated by the information technology system and not responsible for the system itself); or
- operating electronic equipment to communicate information for the safety of life at sea, the protection of the environment and the efficient movement of marine vessels and to monitor radio aids to marine navigation and the provision of associated advisory services; or
- applying electronics technology to the design, construction, installation, inspection, maintenance and repair of electronic, radio and associated equipment, systems and facilities and the development and enforcement of regulations and standards governing the use of such equipment; or
- the operation, scheduling or controlling of the operations of electronic equipment used in the processing of data for the purpose of reporting, storing, extracting and comparing information or for solving formulated problems according to prescribed plans; or
- where a comprehensive knowledge of engineering, engineering technology or its specialized techniques is the prime requirement in: the planning, design, construction or maintenance of physical systems, structures or equipment; the development or application of engineering standards or procedures including the planning, design, construction or maintenance of buildings, equipment, structures or systems such as transportation, telecommunications, utilities or water use projects; or the development or modification of physical systems or equipment for use in special purpose computer systems applications; or the provision of advice, the conduct of studies, the development and application of related standards and procedures.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: