Annual Update to the Isolated Posts and Government Housing Directive - July 2010
To: Functional Heads of Administration, Human Resources and Financial Service
CC: Chairs and Executive Directors of Northern Federal Regional Councils, Departmental Designated Coordinators for the IPGHD Committee members of the NJC IPGHD (for information)
Please distribute this notice and the amended appendices of the National Joint Council (NJC) Isolated Posts and Government Housing Directive (IPGHD) as quickly as possible to persons at your headquarters and regional offices who are involved in the administration of the allowances.
The purpose of this notice is to provide you with the approved updates to the NJC IPGHD. The changes in Appendices B, C, I, K1 and K2 will be effective .
These changes were arrived at following consultations within the NJC IPGH committee and are in accordance with the approved methodologies. The NJC IPGHD has been amended to reflect these changes:
- The Environment Allowance rates, Appendix B, have been increased, effective .
- The Living Cost Differential rates, Appendix C, have been adjusted effective .
- The Shelter Cost Differential rates, Appendix K-1 and K-2, have been adjusted effective .
- The meal and rations rates, Appendix I, have been adjusted effective .
- As a result of a survey conducted by Statistics Canada in October 2009, the Living Cost differential (LCD) levels, Appendix A, of a small number of locations in Northwestern Ontario and James Bay have been revised. These changes in will be effective for Isolated Posts which had a classification increase in the LCD level as per 2.11.2 of the NJC Isolated Posts and Government Housing Directive (IPGHD). Please note that for the two (2) locations which decreased, notification must be provided to employees as the effective date of the changes will be the first day of the fourth calendar month after the month in which written notification was received as per 2.12.4 a) of the NJC IPGHD. An email message is acceptable to provide such notification.
A total of thirty seven (37) isolated posts were involved in this review and the results can be summarized as follows:
|No change in LCD level – 31 posts||
|Increase by one LCD level – 3 posts||
|Increase by two LCD levels – 1 post||
|Decrease by one LCD level – 2 posts||
Details regarding the methodology can be found in the "Guide to National Joint Council Rates and Allowances".
No pay action should be taken to implement the revisions to Appendices B, C, I and K of the IPGHD, until further instructions are received from the applicable pay office of Public Works and Government Services Canada.
Any retroactive payments resulting from the above changes are to be administered in the same manner as retroactive increases to employees' pay.
Any questions from employees and regional staff should be directed to the appropriate Designated Departmental IPGHD Coordinators who, as required, can contact the appropriate officers at the Treasury Board Secretariat.
Union Engagement and National Joint Council support
Compensation and Labour Relations Sector
Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer
- Date modified: