Interpretation Related to the Allocation of Financial Work and Activities
Date: April 1, 2015
To: Heads of Human Resources
cc: Chiefs of Classification, Chiefs of Labour Relations, Chiefs of Staffing
There has been a number of requests for interpretation concerning the allocation of administrative work that includes a financial component.
As a result, the purpose of this bulletin is to:
- Clarify group allocation distinctions between positions in the Financial Management (FI) group and the Program and Administrative Services (PA) group, specifically the Administrative Services (AS) classification, performing financial activities.
- Clarify the requirement to use the "Resources Susceptible to Influence – Worksheet" included in the FI Classification Standard.
Classification advisors and managers with classification authority sub-delegated to them by their deputy head are expected to comply with the information and direction contained in this bulletin and take corrective action as necessary.
This bulletin applies to departments and agencies in the core public administration and is effective April 1, 2015.
Primary purpose of the position and group allocation
There can be only one primary purpose or "raison d'être" for a position. The Guide to allocating positions using the 1999 occupational group definitions can be helpful in determining the primary purpose of the work.
Financial administrative support
In general, clerical work of a financial nature such as completing forms, entering data in the financial systems, and printing financial reports, etc., is allocated to the PA group and evaluated with the Clerical and Regulatory (CR) classification standard as per inclusion #1 of the PA group definition.
When a position primarily provides financial advice, financial reporting, financial analysis, financial planning, assessment of financial implication or interpretation of financial policies, then the work would be allocated to the FI group in accordance with the FI group definition.
However, there may be a perception of overlap between FI and AS financial work because the FI and PA group definitions both refer to "finance" as an administrative field. Furthermore, the FI and AS classification standards and related benchmarks refer to financial activities such as budgeting, financial control, expenditures and financial records and reporting.
Positions with administrative and financial responsibilities
There are many positions that include a mix of administrative and financial responsibilities within the core public administration.
In these situations, the determination of the primary purpose of the work may be difficult because:
- exclusion statement #1 of the FI group definition refers to administrative services in support of Public Service policies, programs, services or other activities dealing with financial management, and
- inclusion statement #3 of the PA group definition and inclusion statement #7 of the FI group definition both refer to "two or more administrative fields", one of which is financial .
Group allocation analysis
In cases where positions include a mix of administrative and financial duties, the determination of the primary purpose of such jobs will first require a discussion with management to assess the importance and the degree of financial responsibilities attached to the position.
The FI group definition inclusion statement #7 and the three following criteria must be used to guide this discussion and determine whether or not financial management is the primary purpose of the job:
"7. the provision of services in two or more administrative fields, one of which is financial, when the financial work is, in the opinion of the employer, of primary importance. In allocating a position to the appropriate group, the purpose of the position must be assessed according to all of the following criteria:
- the impact of the financial aspects of the advice and recommendations made on the overall achievement of the organization's programs and objectives;
- the degree of responsibility and complexity of the financial work of the position, including the availability of, and the need to provide, financial functional direction; and
- the degree of specialized knowledge, skill and experience required in the work."
This assessment should be included in the classification rationale to support group allocation.
If it is determined that financial management is the primary purpose of the work, the position must be allocated to the FI group under inclusion statement #7.
If it is concluded that financial management is not the primary purpose of the work, the position must be allocated to the PA group under:
- inclusion statement #3 of the PA group definition which maps to the AS classification, and states "the planning, development, delivery or management of policies, programs, services or other activities in two or more administrative fields, such as finance, human resources or purchasing, directed to the Public Service;" and
- exclusion statement #1 of the FI group definition which states, "the provision of administrative services in support of Public Service policies, programs, services or other activities dealing with financial management", would apply.
The FI classification standard neither limits how departments organize FI work, nor where these positions should be located or report.
Use of the "Resources Susceptible to Influence – Worksheet"
Departments are reminded that the "Resources Susceptible to Influence - Worksheet" must be completed and authorized by the supervisor of the position being classified as an FI position.
This worksheet is an integral part of the FI classification standard and is intended to assist evaluators in calculating the magnitude of resources to rate the "Nature of Impact" factor.
The completed and signed "Resources Susceptible to Influence – Worksheet" must be placed on the position file.
All questions pertaining to this interpretation bulletin should be directed to your Departmental Corporate Classification, who, if required, will direct their questions to the Workforce Organization and Classification group.
Original signed by:
Assistant Deputy Minister
Compensation and Labour Relations
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: