Leave Year-End Processing
To: Heads of Labour Relations and Compensation
The purpose of this bulletin is to provide information regarding the leave year-end processing procedures.
During the Leave Reporting System 2011–12 reconciliation process, the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer – Data Quality and People Information Management Team discovered some anomalies and brought them to our attention.
We would like to encourage departments to verify the contents of their Leave Reporting System file before sending it to the Data Quality and People Information Management Team at the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat.
The 2012–13 Leave Reporting System file shall only be submitted when:
- All mandatory fiscal year end cash-outs have been processed (based on various collective agreements and respective departmental deadlines);
- Vacation leave credits in excess of the amount of hours prescribed by the various collective agreements have been paid; and
- All adjustments have been made, before closing out the fiscal year (avoid adjustments to opening balances as much as possible).
The file should not contain:
- Duplicate records;
- Invalid Personal Record Identifiers (i.e. 999999999);
- Marriage Leave transactions taken by employees outside of the following groups: Correctional Services (CX) (code 520), and Ships' Officers (SO) and Ship Repair (Chargehands) (SR(C)) (Code 450); and
- Overlapping leave transactions.
As well, analysis of the sick leave usage before retirement or departure is complex and unreliable, as some departments reset employees' sick leave balances to zero at termination. Please do not reset this value.
Questions regarding this bulletin should be directed to your Departmental Leave Reporting System Coordinator.
Core Public Administration
Compensation and Labour Relations
Office of the Chief Human Resources Officers
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: