Use of Family-Related Leave
To: Heads of Human Resources; Directors/Chiefs of Labour Relations and Compensation; Public Service Pay Centre, Miramichi
The purpose of this information bulletin is to review the use of family-related leave codes in the Leave Reporting System.
After conducting research and a review of the following Leave Reporting System codes:
- Code 470 – School functions;
- Code 471 – Unforeseeable school/daycare closure; and
- Code 472 – Appointment with Professional.
We noticed a potential problem in the interpretation and application of this leave and possible errors in the programming of these codes in the departmental human resources systems.
In 2011, departments were informed of the creation of these three codes to record use of certain types of family-related leave, resulting from new provisions in relevant collective agreements, which provide for 20% (7.5 hours out of 37.5 hours; 8 hours out of 40 hours; or as per the relevant collective agreement) of the total of the current allowable family-related leave to be used as follows (extracted from the Program and Administrative Services collective agreement):
43.03 Subject to clause 43.02,the Employer shall grant the employee leave with pay under the following circumstances:
- seven decimal five (7.5) hours out of the thirty-seven decimal five (37.5) hours stipulated in clause 43.02 above may be used:
- to attend school functions, if the supervisor was notified of the functions as far in advance as possible;
- to provide for the employee's child in the case of an unforeseeable closure of the school or daycare facility; and
- to attend an appointment with a legal or paralegal representative for non-employment related matters, or with a financial or other professional representative, if the supervisor was notified of the appointment as far in advance as possible.
Note: This represents 20% (7.5 hours out of 37.5 hours, 8 hours out of 40 hours, or according to the provisions of the relevant collective agreement) spread amongst the three reasons, not 20% for each reason.
Clear direction was given to departmental human resources systems coordinators to properly program these new codes in their systems.
From this date going forward, it is necessary that:
- employees and managers are made aware of the proper management of this type of leave by providing them a copy of this information bulletin; and
- this leave is properly managed.
Your cooperation in ensuring that this leave is properly administered is appreciated.
Core Public Administration
Compensation and Labour Relations
Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: