Population of the Federal Public Service
About the Data
When reading the table below, the following information applies:
- Source of Information: Pay System as of st of each year.
- The Federal Public Service (FPS) consists of two population segments: the Core Public Administration (CPA) and Separate agencies (SA).
- CPA departments and agencies are named in schedules I and IV of the Financial Administration Act. The Treasury Board is the employer of this segment of the FPS.
- Separate agencies are named in Schedule V of the Act. Separate agencies conduct their own negotiations with and set their own classification levels for their employees.
- Included in this information are:
- Active employees of all employment tenures (Indeterminate, Term, Casual and Student)
- Governor-in-Council appointees
- Deputy Ministers
- Federal Judges
- Excluded from this information are:
- Inactive employees (i.e. employees on leave without pay)
- Ministers’ exempt staff
- Employees locally engaged outside of Canada
- RCMP Regular Force members
- RCMP temporary civilian Force members
- Canadian Forces members
- Population counts for the following separate agencies are not included because their employee information is not available in the Regional Pay System:
- Canadian Security Intelligence Service
- National Capital Commission
- Canada Investment and Savings
- Canadian Forces Non-Public Funds
- Security Intelligence Review Committee (before 2010)
|Year||Population of the Federal Public Service||Population of the Core Public Administration||Population of Separate Agencies||Canadian Population (Statistics Canada)
CANSIM Series V1 (1st Quarter)
Table 1 Notes
|2016||258,979||197,354||61,625||36,155,487 table note 1 *|
This information is published in HTML, XML and CSV formats and is part of the Government’s Open Data Portal. The portal offers machine-readable formats, enabling citizens, private sector and non-government organizations to leverage this data in innovative and value-added ways.
|Population of the Federal Public Service
(XML version – 62 KB)
(CSV version – 1 KB)
|These data present population counts for the Federal Public Service (i.e. all departments and agencies governed by the Financial Administration Act (FAA) Schedules I, IV and V) from to .|
Glossary of Key Terms
To assist you with your analysis of Federal Public Service human resources data, we have compiled a glossary of key terms that are used in many of the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer’s (OCHRO) demographic snapshots and reports. This glossary has been developed to help provide a common language across OCHRO’s demographic snapshots and reports.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: