Memorandum of Understanding between the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat and the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications of the Republic of Estonia on cooperation in the field of Digital Government and Economy
The Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat and the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications of the Republic of Estonia, hereinafter referred to as the "Participants",
Considering that digital development is one of the keys to fostering inclusive economic growth and providing effective and efficient services to the citizens of their respective countries,
Noting that recent exchanges have taken place between public authorities from both countries, and that further bilateral cooperation, including exchanges of experience, know-how, ideas and skills related to the implementation of digital government and ICT initiatives will be of mutual benefit,
Aiming to promote know-how and the transfer of technology-based knowledge and the implementation of innovative projects in the fields of common interest,
Seeking to promote inclusive approaches which engage those individuals and communities most affected by the adoption of new technologies, including women and girls, and which protect and enhance respect for privacy and human rights,
Wishing to make their partnership formal and deeper,
Have reached the following understanding:
- 1. Purpose
The purpose of this Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) is to define a common agenda and encourage closer ties between the Participants in the fields of digital government, the digital economy and related policy issues.
- 2. Areas for collaboration
The Participants will exchange views, information, experience and solutions in areas of digital government, the digital economy and related endeavours by:
- organizing joint events
- organizing visits and exchange of public officials and other experts, and peer-to-peer coaching between experts
- sharing information on lessons learned issues related to the design, architecture, security and operational lessons related to public sector information systems and relevant platforms, including Artificial Intelligence
- sharing knowledge, approaches and solutions to issues surrounding the design and delivery of digital government services for citizens and businesses, including issues related to privacy and respect for human rights
- sharing knowledge and information relating to youth in the digital sphere, including in the area of teaching children to code
- consulting with regard to positions and work in the digital area in other forums (e.g. Digital 7, Open Government Partnership, Freedom Online Coalition)
- encouraging relevant organizations and enterprises of both countries to cooperate, exchange information and know-how, participate in business and technology collaborations and other joint initiatives, including proofs-of-concept and pilot projects
- Identifying ways to promote women’s entrepreneurship and the engagement of women in the digital economy
In all these activities, the Participants will seek to ensure multi-disciplinary, multi-sectoral, and inclusive approaches that take full account of issues related to human rights and inclusion.
- 3. Coordination
- The Participants will nominate representatives who will oversee the implementation of this MoU.
- The Participants may invite other institutions, including from private sector and non-governmental sectors, or other levels of government, to participate in the work and assign them responsibility for the implementation of particular activities.
- The Participants will collaborate to decide, on a case by case basis, how their activities will be funded and resourced.
- 4. Status
This MoU is not legally binding.
- 5. Final dispositions
- This MoU will come into effect on the date of signature of all Participants and will remain valid for five years.
- The Participants may renew this MoU for a period of five years at a time upon their mutual written consent.
- The Participants may amend this MoU upon their mutual written consent through an exchange of notes.
- A Participant may terminate this MoU by giving three (3) months written notice to the other Participant.
Signed in duplicate in the English and French languages, each version being equally valid.
For Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
For the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications of the Republic of Estonia
- Date modified: