Economic Development Initiative
The Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA) is helping Acadian and francophone communities in Atlantic Canada grow their economy. Non-profit organizations in official language minority communities (OLMCs) could be eligible for support.
W.P. Griffin Inc., Elmsdale, P.E.I.
The Economic Development Initiative (EDI) is part of Canada’s official languages action plan. The plan has three building blocks:
- strengthening our communities
- strengthening access to services
- promoting a bilingual Canada
Our work to grow the economy is one way ACOA helps the plan succeed. Every year, we invest up to $1.1 million in Acadian and francophone communities through the EDI.
What projects qualify
To be eligible, non-profit organizations must serve Acadian or francophone communities in Atlantic Canada. Chosen projects will be those that:
- provide business advice and support
- foster research and development
- help to reach new markets
- boost innovation
- improve productivity
- support francophone immigration
To receive EDI funding, your project must:
- support the economic development of an Acadian or francophone community
- help businesses grow and become more competitive
- secure at least 25% of funding from other sources
Who can apply
Funding is available to non-profit organizations such as:
- economic development associations
- provincial Crown corporations
- colleges, universities and other post-secondary institutions
- business and technology institutes
How to apply
Contact your nearest ACOA office to discuss your project and then complete and submit the Application for financial assistance.
Contact us today!
Ready to find out more? Reach out to ACOA Business Information Services to learn more about this and other programs. Call 1-888-576-4444 and we’ll be happy to help.
Or contact us by email:
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Atlantic time)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: